December 31, 2015

My Top 7 New Year’s Resolutions

My Top 7 New Year’s Resolutions

I know New Year’s resolutions have gotten a bad rap. I know no one “keeps” them perfectly all year long. I know that nothing is all that different about January 1 that you can’t do any one of the other 364 days of the year.

But I also know that having a holiday that reminds and encourages us to improve our lives is a good thing.

So while they aren’t meant to replace goals (and goals are very important in life!), these seven New Year’s resolutions are things I want to work on doing differently next year.

1. Complain less. Do you know that the average American complains over 80 times a day? Really? That’s terrible! I want to complain about how bad that statistic is! Wait a minute . . .

2. Be grateful more. Gratitude is the gateway to so many other blessings in life: contentment, peace, joy, happiness, humility, grace, forgiveness, and on and on. Gratitude is something that you can’t ever have too much of.

3. Be right less. Not long ago, my mom and I got in a fight. And I was right. But what I realized after the fight is that being right accomplished absolutely nothing. I was right. So what? Being right and aggressively standing firm in my rightness did nothing but drive a wedge between us and make us both feel bad. When being right does that to my relationships, I’d rather not be right. “Don’t worry about being right. Just worry about being kind.” –My grandmother

4. Compliment more. I think nice things about people all of the time and I rarely say them. Maybe I just get busy and forget. Maybe I don’t think they care either way. But everyone appreciates a kind word. As William Arthur Ward said, thinking something nice and not saying it is like wrapping a gift and not giving it.

5. Cuss less. Let’s just get real here. I’m an excitable person and when I’m comfortable with someone, I throw around a cuss word every now and then for dramatic effect. But you know everyone doesn’t always appreciate my drama. (Go figure!) So I’m going to work on that.

6. Look up more. Instead of staring at my phone, I want to look up more. And the struggle is real, y’all. I write about this all the time, like here and here and here, because I have to constantly remind myself. I get sucked into the black hole of my smart phone just like everyone else does! With temptation (other foreheads) all around you, it’s a daily choice. In 2016, I want to LOOK UP.

7. Judge differently. I’m like the majority of people. I judge others based on their actions, but I judge myself based on my intentions. It’s the reason I throw my hands up in shock and horror when someone cuts me off in traffic, but then when I just need to cross over last minute because I almost missed my exit, well, I’m really sorry! It just snuck up on me! In 2016, I want to switch that. I want to judge others by their intentions and instead give them the benefit of the doubt. And when I don’t respond to a text, meet my deadline, or show up on time for another meeting yet again, I will judge myself by my actions.

So there you go! I’m putting this out there for the world to see, so I give you permission to hold me accountable for these too, dam . . . dang it! And the best part about these resolutions is that you don’t have to eat fewer cookies or workout more to keep them!

What are your resolutions? Share them below and join the accountability with me.

(I always love reading y’all’s comments by the way!)

Happy New Year, everyone!

1. Carter says:

This is great! So much truth here…and it gave me an early morning laugh, which is always appreciated. Happy New Year to you, Christy! And good luck with these resolutions and your goals as well! 🙂

1. Greg says:

I believe following these seven resolutions will make me a better person. So, I hope you don’t mind me using them. Happy New Year, Christy! Thank you for the reminder about goals too.

2. Katie says:

All of those could apply to me , especially the complain less and cuss less. I would add to that , stop participating in office gossip. Be positive. My live is a good one, I need to appreciate what I do have.

3. Tasha says:

Love it! I love your honesty. I need to adopt your list as well. ALL OF THEM. (Except I really need to add go to the gym three times a week to mine as well). 🙂

Happy 2016 to us all! May we practice kindness daily and forgive ourselves when we don’t quite succeed the first time.

4. Michelle says:

Love all of them! For me, I want to buy less stuff and SIMPLIFY. Less is more…I can focus on other things I value (family, travel, nature) by reducing the clutter (distractions).

Happy New Year!

5. Jodi says:

I love your blog resolutions, I have a dear friend whom is fighting cancer and read the book “A Thousand Gifts” this book inspired her spirit so much that she asked me to read it too, It inspired me to write down my own gifts/blessings, so I want to write a thousand blessing from God down this year. I also set one monthly goal for myself to complete in my home, I will make it simple like to clean out closet, or fix towel rack etc. and I really want to pray more.

Happy New Year Christy.

6. JB says:

Thanks for the encouragement! My New Year’s resolution is to:

1. Spend more time with God
    2. Save for emergency fund, and work on becoming debt free.
    3. Be on time to church, work, etc.
    4. Read daily
    5. Complain less
    6. Stop procrastinating
    7. Journal

7. Karen says:

For the past 2 years I’ve chosen a word and not made resolutions. My word for 2015 was DISCIPLINE….to read my bible more, to work on one room in my house at a time, to be on time more. I did pretty well for he first 6 months, then it went South. This year, I think I’ll take Jon Acuff’s suggestion and choose to 1. Start something I’ve been wanting to do 2. Continue something I enjoy or do well and 3. Stop doing something that hasn’t worked real well for me. Now to figure what those 3 things are is the challenge.

8. Jennifer Royce says:

1. Think of God 1st (have you prayed about it as much as you have talked to others about it?)
    2. Take care of myself
    3. Spend more time with my granddaughters
    3. Waste less money & time
    4.cut myself some slack when I miss the mark on things-

9. Keri says:

Oh how very true these are. And ways to be realistic in resolutions for the year. All of these are things I resolve to do along with you, thanks for all of your great wisdom and inspiration

10. Jennifer says:

Wonderful List. Simple and yet effective items for the New Year. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy your blog. Best wishes to you and yours in 2016.

11. Cheryl says:

I have resolved to give myself grace and to work on handing over my worries to the Lord. I will continue to make plans, work on those in progress and accept the changes that may happen at any time. When I hand my worries over to the Lord, ask for guidance and then LISTEN to him, it’s amazing how many other things I can accomplish! That leaves so much time to work on myself and my goals and plans for 2016! Thank you dear Father!

12. Tiffany says:

Thank you for your honesty and encouragement!
    In 2016 I have three goals:
    Spiritual – spend time with God daily and bring him to the front of my minute to minute thoughts.
    Relational – Nurture my new marriage and remember that we are perfect for each other because our difference make us stronger together. We are striving to do a date night once a week in 2016.
    Professional – I WILL gain at least one new client and strive towards 5 new clients this year!
    Looking forward to what the new years has in store.