August 30, 2016

What Happens When You Use Your Gifts

What Happens When You Use Your Gifts

There are some moments in life when I can’t help but see God. It’s the feeling I had when the doctor placed my son in my arms for the very first time. It’s the same feeling I have when I see an incredible sunset or a bird building a nest on my back deck. Maybe those moments are different for you, but I bet you have them, too. You’re watching something perfectly normal and can’t help but see God. Everything about that moment of creation points to the Creator.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in church during the worship time when it happened again. I couldn’t help but notice a woman who was singing in the band. She was beautiful, her voice was beautiful, and her worship was beautiful. As she shined on stage, I couldn’t help but see God. In that moment, she was using the gifts God gave her, and it was a blessing to me and everyone in church. You couldn’t look at her and not see God!

It was a perfect example of one of my very favorite passages:

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14–16 (NIV)

Do you get that, friend? When you step into your gifts, when you serve people, when you shine, people see God!  So, when you sing or dance or bake a beautiful cake, you’re not only offering the world your talent or cake, you’re showing God to them!

I don’t know about you, but that helps me step into my gifts, walk onto the stage, or write the words on the page with less hesitation, doubt and fear and a lot more passion, confidence and conviction. Because it’s not just a speaking event or a blog for me; it’s an opportunity for people to see God. And it’s not just a product, service, or talent for you; it’s an opportunity for God to show Himself to the world through you. So push past your fear, shake off the haters, get over your doubts, and do the things God created you to do. You’re not only serving people with your gifts—you’re showing God to them. And business or hobby, paid or unpaid, I can’t think of any more important work that any of us could be doing. So get out there and shine!

***

If you have your own side business or even an idea for one, I have an event specifically designed for you! We’ll learn from an amazing lineup of expert speakers who will give you a ton of inspiration and know-how. Together, we’ll work through the struggles and doubts you face and put a plan behind your passion.  Join us at Business Boutique, November 4-5, in Nashville.

1. Carroll says:

We have a woman in church who sings beautifully, but the most wonderful thing is that you don’t see her when she sings – you see God and his Spirit! Thank you for putting into words how I feel in those moments!

2. Kathlee says:

Thank you for your inspiring words! Even at 65 years young I need to be reminded that my talents are unique AND I just might have new gifts to share.
    In Christ,
    Kathleen

3. Jo Trujillo says:

Thank you once again for letting God use you like this! I’ve been wanting share something with you and didn’t know where I could do that. This seems like just as good a place as any. I attended the business boutique in Phoenix. It was awesome for me! When I got back home a couple friends of mine learned that I went and wanted to hear all about it. We scheduled a lunch get together so I could share and we’ve been meeting every month since and our group has grown to 12. We continue to talk about Business Boutique, go through my notes, and just share about where each of are in our businesses. I love doing it, I feel God moving when I’m speaking and we want this to continue! I’ve pointed all of them to your blog and to the others blogs as well (Crystal Paine, Lysa Terkeurst, etc. )

4. Sally May says:

I just got home from our Bible Study and we are using the book by Ann Voskamp called “One Thousand Gifts”. We each have our own small journal to start writing our own 1000 gifts that God gives us every day. It’s the small gifts that makes it all worthwhile!! I have a small business doing sewing for others and making items to sell. It’s very hard for me to sell my own creations. Wish Jo lived closer to me and I would join her group and learn from the shared stories. Love your website and your messages!

5. RW says:

Thank you so much for your post. It is very timely for me. I have an interview for a new job this week. I sometimes don’t do well in interviews because I don’t highlight my skills enough. Subconsciously, I think I feel that I’m bragging or aren’t really good enough. Your words have given me the boost I need to go into my interview with more confidence. I know my skills and talents are gifts from God and they can be used to impact others in a positive way.

6. Sherri Buehl says:

Beautifully said! My faith he and my life changed as I realized my gifts and began using them for His glory. I’m now a Deaconess. I preach on spiritual gifts sharing my testimony and lead workshops for churches and retreats on spiritual gifts and service. Thank you for sharing this story! God bless

7. Connie Stark says:

I am interested in the November event! I started a small furniture/cabinet painting and refinishing business a couple of years ago – and I’m SO wanting God to be glorified through this endeavor! I consistently ask, “How am I using my gifts to serve Him? I’m just a painter!” I know He can … But HOW?