August 18, 2016

Why You Undervalue Your Strengths

Every time I sit down to write down my idea, I have the same thoughts. “Everyone knows this. Why are you writing about it? This is so obvious!"

Why You Undervalue Your Strengths

I’ve written two blogs per week for the last several years. This is in addition to any writing I do for media, speaking events or videos. Each piece of writing represents an idea—something I’ve thought of and want to share with the world to hopefully help, inspire or encourage others.

And every time I sit down to write down my idea, I have the same thoughts.

“Everyone knows this. Why are you writing about it? This is so obvious! Everyone will read it, roll their eyes, and think, “Duh. Everyone knows that.”

But I’m not the only one that has that thought. I know that you do too.

You want to create a product, add a new service to your business, or put yourself out there in some way—you want to share part of your heart and yourself with the world—and all you can think is, Everyone already knows this. Everyone already has this. Everyone already does this.

But what I want to remind you is something I’ve tried to remind myself of daily for the last several years.

What’s obvious to you is not obvious to everyone else. What’s easy for you is not easy for everyone else. What’s simple to you is not simple to everyone else.

Leading up to the Business Boutique, I wrote hours and hours of stage content to teach these women about their businesses. And with every session of teaching, slide or workbook page I created, I had those same thoughts. “Everyone knows this! They are going to boo you off the stage!”

But I kept reminding myself of that truth: What’s obvious to me is not obvious to everyone else.

And the same is true for you.

The gifts God created you with are unique to you and for you, so that you can share them with the world.

The knowledge that you have acquired and experiences you’ve been through are unique to you and for you, so that you can share them with the world.

The message that God has put on your heart or ideas in your mind are unique to you and for you, so that you can share them with the world.

We undervalue our strengths, knowledge and abilities because they’re effortless and obvious to us. But don’t let that stop you from sharing them with the world. Because what’s obvious to you might just be amazing to someone else.

***

If you have your own side business or even an idea for one, we have an event specifically designed for you! Business Boutique is back in Nashville November 2-4! Together, we’ll work through the struggles and doubts you face and put a plan behind your passion. Get your tickets before it’s sold out!

1. Sandy Danielson says:

Boom shocka locka! So good! I REALLY do the exact same thing and I’m in real estate. I think, ‘What can I possibly tell these people that they already haven’t heard from a bajillion people? How can I show them that I’m coming from a spirit of contribution that’s different from other agents?’ But you’re right! I need to stay steadfast because not only has God given me a unique set of gifts but He also lives in me and through me. Thanks!

2. Gwen Juleus says:

Thanks so much for this article!!! I was just having those same doubts but you cleared it up for me! God did make only one me and no one else mind works the way mine does, so no one has the thoughts and insight that I do!! Thanks so much!!!

3. Melissa says:

I am pretty sure you wrote this just for me! (okay, not really, but you basically took the fears in my head and addressed them in your post). Thank you for the bravery of admitting your struggle. Somehow, the fact that someone who seems to have arrived has the same struggles that I have, validates my struggle as not just a silly fear. I feel empowered to act instead of just let those fears speak so loudly!

4. ginny says:

Struggle everyday, sometimes more often. I have trouble finding the value in what I want to create and share. The resistance is constant. But I have to keep reminding myself that everyone doesn’t think the same or value the same. Thank you for the reminder. And also I attended the BB and I learned so much and left feeling like it was possible to follow my dreams. 🙂

5. Anne says:

No matter where I seem to be in this walk, your words speak to me at just the right time. Thank you for this blog and thank you for listening to and acting on what God speaks in to your heart!

6. JB says:

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I have put my business ideas on hold, because I thought, everyone is doing this. That is the enemy trying to steal my blessing, destiny and future. I will pursue my dreams of being self employed. Thanks a bunch!

7. Melinda says:

Good morning. Thanks so much for this. I have just started writing a blog and a few people have asked me what is the point, why write what I do? Well for starters I love to write, and also hope that I can inspire or plant a seed of thought. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Melinda

8. Stephanie says:

Yes! I know you speak a lot on women struggling with “imposter syndrome,” which is something I’ve realized I struggle with a lot. Thank you for reminding me that I do have unique gifts and strengths to bring to the table. Thank you for what you do!

9. Cheryl Indart says:

Like so many others….God knows where we are and what we need to hear. I’m striking out on my own and have been so full of doubts, but I do believe I have something of value to share. Your words help remind me that God has made me valuable with the gifts he has given me and I need to use them. Thanks for sharing!

10. Doug Smith says:

Thank you for writing this, Christy! I feel this all the time! In fact, everywhere I speak, I feel like I have to create new content even if the audience I am speaking to has never heard messages I’ve used in the past. Thank you for helping free me up to contribute what I can uniquely contribute to the world. Thank you for the content you create! It matters!

11. Aracely says:

Thank you for this post. I needed to read this especially after being laid off from my job. I am currently looking for work and as I am searching online, I second guess myself from applying. I am going to start today on a positive note, thanks to this blog.

Thanks again.

12. Melissa Kaiserman says:

Ahhhh, I needed this so much! There are lots of times when I think of something to share with or teach other Etsy sellers, and the same thought crosses my mind: Silly, they already know it. But then I realize over and over that it’s not true! Some of the things I think are so straightforward and known by everyone are completely new to lots of them. And they’re so grateful when I share.

13. Sadie says:

My husband tells me this all the time. As a military wife and SAHM for nearly 20 years, it is hard to think that maybe I have something that will be marketable as I dip my toes back into the marketplace. I appreciate the words of encouragement!

14. Rita M. Reali says:

What great words of wisdom! “what’s obvious to you might just be amazing to someone else.” Thank you, Christy, for the reminder. The gifts I often take for granted (copy writing, editing, proofreading) are things for which people will pay good money.

15. Niki says:

Thank you so much for the reminder. These are my exact thoughts on a daily basis. The “enemy”
    tries to steal, kill and destroy our hopes, dreams and goals. Praise God for people like you who remind me to not listen to his lies.

16. Sue Cabot says:

Thank you! We probably all have that same chirping voice that chooses to defeat us. Just by your sharing this, I am reminded to quite that voice within me. I’m starting a business from home and hope to expand it to an actual storefront. I need to keep reminding myself of your words. 😉

17. Sarah says:

This is perfect – I think this every day when I’m writing down ideas for posts. “It’s so obvious, it’s not new material, everyone know this already…” Thank you for tapping right into that insecure voice that we all have and shutting her down. There is room for everyone because every thought and gift is unique! Thank you!! Have a wonderful weekend!

18. Melanie says:

Thank you for the encouragement which is exactly what I needed today!

My husband and I already had a trip planned over the first week of November, but I hope there will be another Business Boutique seminar soon so I may attend. I am committed to praying for you, your team, and all who attend in Nashville.

19. Nicole Wyche says:

Such great insight! A fantastic tool available to help people see and understand their strengths is called StrengthsFinder. I would encourage anyone who is struggling to know what there innate strengths are to do the assessment and find out.