November 8, 2016

What Fills You Up

What Fills You Up

Before I went out on maternity leave, I was having days where I was just running on fumes. I’m sure you’ve had those moments. For me, those last few months were a crazy season of preparation—preparing work things to continue in my absence and home things for a new baby!

When we have a lot going on, it’s easy to get drained. For example, most of the work that I do involves pouring into things. I pour into my blog and book, into my talks on stage and into people directly through coaching. With two kids under two, I also pour into my family at home.

I’m sure you have areas in your life that you tirelessly pour yourself into as well. I’ve noticed in my own life that when I’m running on empty, not only do I feel the strain myself, but I don’t have as much to offer those who are important to me. I run out of ideas to write, out of energy for speaking, and out of patience at home.

I was feeling this way and told my husband, “I know what I need. I just need to be filled up. I’m pouring out and not refilling myself and it’s showing.” I realized that I also hadn’t been to church in a few weeks. I had been on the road for work, and even when I got back, I cherished those Sunday mornings to sleep in. But church is one of the many ways that I not only connect with God, but also get filled up in order to be the person He created me to be.

So we went back to church and I became completely re-energized! It wasn’t even necessarily what the pastor’s message was about directly, but I knew I was right where I was supposed to be because I was suddenly inspired. I was filled with new ideas for blogs, my book, my marriage, and more! As you can see, there was barely enough space on the bulletin for all of it . . .

What fills you up

I love how that happens. I wake up early and drag myself into church feeling empty, and I always leave the service feeling re-energized. God is awesome like that and gives us exactly what we need.

I know that some of you are exhausted, overwhelmed, and just plain tired right now. I want to encourage you, friends, to be intentional about carving out time in your busy week to stop your world and do something that fills you up. We spend so much time pouring into others. But remember: You can’t offer something you don’t have. You can’t give to others, do your job, or be the best mom or wife or friend if you’re running on empty.

For me, it was getting back to church. For you, it might be going for a walk, calling your mom, reading a book, or picnicking with your spouse. What fills you up? What first popped into your head when you read that question? Do yourself a favor and go do that this week.

Jul 13, 2017

Stop Helping Everyone

The struggle is the same. It doesn’t matter if you work in nonprofit or work in a ministry, whether you run a business or just... More

1. Mary Wharton says:

Some days I feel like sleeping in but when I get up and let God’s word pour into me I’m renewed! Love getting your inspiring words and I love that God is first in them! God bless, I know you have a plate full with a new baby. I’m praying for you to enjoy your time off and family. Take care of you Christy!

2. Jennifer Haston says:

Christy! This is right on the money! I went to our church retreat for women this weekend.. 19 hours away from our 5 week old (6 week old today) and while it was hard.. it was NECESSARY. To take care of her, means taking care of myself.. and eating right and all those things.. but yes, you need time for you.. being a mom is great, harder than I thought and infinitely more rewarding… but I definitely applaud your message to your readership to FILL UP.. Thanks!

3. Christi Steely says:

Amen, sister! I was in Nashville this past weekend at the BB event. I had NO idea how much my soul and spirit was going to be FILLED with so much of Him! Just when I thought I was coming to learn about business tactics, He clearly had His own plan for what I was to get out of that experience. My soul was renewed and encouraged. Thank you for your grit and passion with this calling you are so fervently and amazingly (is that a word?!) fulfilling! Praying for you!

4. Sue Cabot says:

I so very much appreciate this message today! Quite a few Ladies I surround myself with (and me included) have been feeling this tiredness lately. Thank you! for reminding us that God does give us exactly what we need and see it when we are open to His word. Amen!

5. Rogette Steele says:

Christy,

This is a right on time message. Lately I’ve been a journey to discover my purpose in life. In my discovery, I find that when I can be alone with the creator and listening to him and communing with him, it truly restores my soul! I am happy to see I’m not the only one.

Blessings unto you and your family!

6. Elizabeth Johns says:

As a wife and Mom to 4 older kids (2 are young adults/ 2 are homeschooling), hobby farm with goats, working on making goat milk soap to sell as a small business, and family out of state with issues, spending some quiet time alone reading the Bible, praying, and reading other Christian based books of encouragement are the ways I am refilled, so that I can then serve others in my life. Thanks Christy for reminding me to go and do what refreshes me this week!

7. Teresa Salley says:

Thank you for saying this out loud! Church has always been a battery recharger for me. Satan can be so very sly about giving us reasons to miss… and in doing so, our batteries become weaker. We need to fill our tank on something…. and only God and His Holy Spirit supply our true fuel.

Hugs to you girly. You are forever wise and amazing!

Teresa