January 12, 2017

101 Business Ideas to Start From Home

We've been talking about your goals for this year. Maybe this is the year you're going to get a business off the ground. This could be the year you start earning extra income on your own terms. 2017 can be...

101 Business Ideas t Start from Home

We’ve been talking about your goals for this year. Maybe this is the year you’re going to get a business off the ground. This could be the year you start earning extra income on your own terms. 2017 can be your time to enjoy the responsibility, pride and freedom of running your own business!

Once you’ve considered your strengths, hobbies and passions, as well as what you have to work with and where the money is, then you can dream up ideas! Here is a list of 101 types of side businesses you can start from home!

Products You Can Hand Make and Sell

94. Wedding officiant

95. Home stager for real estate properties

96. Product importer

97. New baby consultant for expectant families

98. YouTube video tutorial teacher

99. Bridesmaid

100. Bed-and-breakfast owner (Airbnb is an easy, low-risk place to start!)

101. Letter responder (on behalf of Santa)

What would you add? Simply brainstorming ideas—the good, the bad and the crazy—can help you identify more specifically which side-business is right for you!

I want to help you find the idea that’s right for you and turn it into a business in just nine weeks. How’s that for a lofty goal? You can do it, and I can help. Click here to learn more about my Digital Mentoring program!

May 23, 2017

A Place Where You Can Learn

My friend Naomi loved whales as a little girl. She still does, but back then she wanted to know everything about them, so she checked... More
May 9, 2017

How to Create Content

“A 2016 report by Spera found that more than one-third of millennials are independent workers, a number that is likely to increase. Some researchers even... More

1. Christina says:

Thanks for all of these great ideas! I’m working on a project with at home businesses and jobs. I’m chronicling my experiences as I try various work at home ideas. I want to encourage others to succeed in their own endeavors and support them with real world information to get them started. I’m definitely going to use some of your ideas from this list.

I just opened my blog this week, but if anyone would like to follow my progress you can find me over at http://www.theathomejobreview.com.

2. Love the Professional Bridesmaid article!! Great (and entertaining) list:)

3. Tiffany says:

Just over the weekend I decided that I want to get into decor rentals for weddings…. I then heard you on the Dave Ramsey Show this week talking about starting a business. I’m a little intimidated but looking forward to getting into this. Can’t wait to learn more tips on this!!

1. Everyone I talked to in my research was intimidated too, just like you! That’s exactly why we created this event so I promise you’ll be right at home! Let me know how I can help in any way!

4. JB says:

Thanks for sharing your business ideas with everyone. I read you blogs everyday and you are quite comical. I’ve tried to start my business for years, but always end up at a dead end. I’ve tried at least 12 of the ideas on your list. I will continue praying that God will lead me to become an entrepreneur.

Thanks again for the advice.

5. Priscilla says:

Do you plan on writing a book? I would love your advice on what I can do to use my diet change/health experience to help other people while making some cash at it. I have no degrees or certifications. Just a mom who is well read and determined to heal her children of autoimmune disease! I have no idea where to start! Thanks for your service Christy, God has blessed you amazingly with the ability to connect to us moms. We greatly appreciate your service!

1. Thank you and Yes! We are looking at starting a book next year! And hey, us moms are all in this together! Stay tuned for that but until then- you should definitely pursue that! Great idea!

6. Tamena says:

Hi Christy,

I just found you via Dave’s podcast today! This is a great list! I’m 41 and have always wanted my own ‘thing’. I just can’t decide what that is or how to get it started. But I’m excited to have found you and I am looking forward to learning more from you!

1. Sadie says:

Tamena, I feel that I could have written your post! I just turned 40 and have been a SAHM for 20 years. I have always wanted a career (my own “thing”), but have been scared to jump into the work force.
      I am looking forward to reading more of Christy’s work as well.

7. SM says:

I loved this list. I’m considering starting a business that I could work on my own terms (flexible schedule, etc.). I always dreamed that I’d be a full-time stay-at-home-mom, but now I have a 1-2 day/week business idea and with our first baby on the way, I feel torn. I love the business idea that I have, but it involves doing speech therapy with clients (can’t just make and sell products or something that doesn’t require time away). I think my real dilemma is that financially, I don’t HAVE to work. We’re in a great position, no debt, good savings, etc., and I feel a little guilty pursuing “my” dreams and having someone care for my child when I don’t “have” to work and could be there for her. My husband is awesome and will support whatever choice I make. I’d love any feedback on how to navigate this decision.

1. RW says:

First, let me specify that I do not have children. However, as a woman who has spent a lot of time living life in a way that I felt met others’ expectations more than my own, I encourage you to go after what you are passionate about. A child staying home with a mother that feels unfulfilled is not necessarily better off than being with a paid caregiver. You are blessed to be in a position financially where you can afford to take more risks than someone who does not have as much disposable income.
      I think your child will be lucky to have a mother who is an example of someone not afraid to go after her dreams.
      Good luck with whatever you decide.

2. Vanessa says:

I understand this. I’d say, wait a little while after the baby is born and see if you still have a nagging feeling of wanting to have your own business. I thought staying home 100% of the time would work for me, but quickly found out that I missed the professional world and didn’t mind having a little ‘me’ time – if you could call it that. My littles to go daycare a couple of half-days each week, and I work from home part time. At this point, it is a good arrangement for all.

8. Ashelsh says:

Custom clothing is really a great business idea. Now a days men have started shopping online more than women. Websites like indochino and blacklapel are getting much profits out of this business So launching a custom tailoring website is a good business to start with.

9. Beth says:

I make hair bows as a hobby for extra money, but I would love to know what steps it would take to become a legal business. I need the “basics”. Why do I find that info?

10. Taylor says:

I absolutely love you, Christie! I came to the Business Boutique in May and enjoyed every second. I have my own website, social medi, and etsy listing now because of that conference. I am adding new things to it all the time, too! It’s Pearly Rustic 😊 pearlyrustic.com

11. Pamela D says:

I read the RW story, and that’s so my story!!!
    I just don’t know what to do, I don’t have to work … but there had to be more to life then what I’m Donna right next w. I am so depressed, I look forward to reading more and learning from you.

12. Loriann Overlin says:

If you want really wrong mac and cheese or ridiculous chocolate truffles in the Los Angeles area, I am your gal! 10 years of special events including the Oscars, Emmy’s, Grammy…and pretty much anything with the word THE in it! I’m headed to the Business Boutique with an arsenal of cards, and a few cookies! Loriann-Overlin.com <– "call me we'll do lunch" as they say in the biz!

13. Ardita Shehu says:

HI Christy. Your blog is so encouraging. I would love to start a business aiming to help nonprofits to thrive, in finance management.
    I don ‘t know where to start, but at least know what God wants me to do.. and this is good!
    Thanks a lot for your tips.
    From Albania!

14. Sandra says:

Some great ideas! If I were to do others’ quotes (like Christy wright, for example) with calligraphy, do I need to have permission from the author/quote maker?

15. Jacquelyn Jordan says:

I believe I have talent in writing and have had training and experience in resume writing. Helping others succeed is a passion of mine. With several people I’ve helped already and one I’m currently working with at the moment, I’m seriously thinking on charging for my assistance. I don’t know where to start though. How much do I charge? One thing that concerns me is only having 3 months in HR experience. I have a bachelor’s degree in business administration and have been to mutiple workshops, training classes, lectures, and self study for resume writing. I feel I have something to offer people who are completely lost with resume writing. Also, I know there are companies out there whoseems hiring manager doesn’t make the compensation decisions but rather the HR compensation department basing it off of the experience shown on the resume. I really want to help others land the job they want and with greater compensation than what they would have received without a stellar resume. Do I have to have the HR experience to have my own resume writing business?