February 23, 2017

Why You Shouldn’t Worry About Finding Your Calling

Why You Shouldn't Worry About Finding Your Calling

When I was 23 years old and fresh out of college, I worked as the aquatic director at the local YMCA. My days consisted of everything from hiring employees to testing the chlorine to scooping poop out of the pool. Even though it was far from glamorous at times, I was good at the job and I learned leadership skills that laid a foundation for where I am today. I believe God had me in that role during that season for a greater purpose.

But was it my calling? No way!

I was a good aquatic director, but I don’t think God wanted me doing that one thing for the rest of my life. Doing one job for their whole lives might be right for some people, but that wasn’t my story, because God had me there just for a season.

The truth is, I don’t know that there is just one thing I was put on this earth to do. Like many of the women I work with, I have a lot of interests and I am pretty good at many different things. You probably do, too. You’re probably what my friend Jana calls a “ten-talent chick!” You were given a lot of gifts and could probably do many things well. For example, in my case, I’m an avid runner, an enthusiastic home redecorator (which my husband and bank account both hate), and a self-proclaimed expert party planner! Like me, you probably have several different passions and talents. You could do any number of things well!

Some people think that I help women find their calling through the Business Boutique. But that’s not what I do. I don’t claim to do that nor do I want to try to. To be honest, the whole idea of having one perfect calling is overwhelming to me! I don’t know if I’m in my “calling.” All that I know is that I am doing something I love and am good at, and I want to help you do the same thing. I think sometimes we get so overwhelmed by the idea of finding our one true calling that we miss out on the opportunities God has placed right in front of us.

You can get to work on something you love today without waiting for a sign in the clouds that it’s your one purpose on this earth! So don’t sit around waiting on your calling. What are you good at that also sounds fun? Go do that! God is attracted to activity, so get moving!

Start reading my new book now for free!

1. Wonderful post! I get so caught up in thinking I have to be so careful in choosing a business idea to pursue because I think I’m stuck with it forever. What a falsehood I’m telling myself now I now I must choose one of my ideas and start DOING!!!!!
    Thanks for this message, I truly needed to read this today.

2. Teresa Salley says:

Good words!
    In the healthcare field, we are constantly hearing how it is important to be “called to care”. Some staff just aren’t “called”. They did not receive an epiphany from the heavens that declared…”Thou shalt be a nurse or a doctor or a therapist!” This does not mean that they aren’t a great caregiver! My philosophy: if it is in front of you , and you are capable, then do it. Do it will all of your heart, as unto the Lord!
    I am called by God to love Him and others. I need to have a paycheck in the meantime, so I will be a doggone good nurse leader and use my God-calling wherever it takes me.!
    By the way, I would like to hear more about your thoughts on how God is attracted to activity. That is a concept I have never heard. Please expound!
    Thanks,
    Teresa

3. Jane Gillis says:

I so appreciate this post, Christy! I, too, enjoy a variety of pursuits and starting my personal concierge business enables me to thrive in the variety. I am loving Business Boutique and all the valuable info. You ARE making an impact and a difference! Thanks!

4. Danae says:

Thank you! I think you were sent from God to tell me this, quit literally today. My husband and I are trying to get everything in order to start an online business and as much as I want to do it, I keep worrying “maybe this isn’t my calling in life” or “maybe God doesn’t want me to do this”. So thank you for this simply profound article! I too believe that God wants us to be happy and do what makes us happy.

5. The Savvy Couple says:

Great short little article with some real honesty.

I was a jail deputy for 2 1/2 years thinking my calling was law enforcement. Glad to be over that now and onto full time entrepreneurship. Love helping others live frugal and free ?

6. Jen says:

This article is so me. 40+ years in nursing totally burned out. Got a job in retail and love it. I can’t tell you how much I Don’t miss the stress that goes along with nursing. No mandatory overtime, no meetings on my day off, no phone calls on my day off begging me to come in, and no getting treated like crap from, patients, family, and management. Was the cut in pay worth it? You betcha it was and it is so nice looking foreword to going to work.

7. WealthWellDone.com says:

Fun read, and you’re so right. I didn’t realize how powerful, or debilitating, “calling” or “purpose” could be until I married my wife. She was so afraid of choosing the wrong “calling” that she actually paralyzed herself for many years. But now we just try, and fail, and blaze our own trail, and we’re constantly learning together, and I think that’s how calling is truly created. God speaks to us once we put in action. I’ve also found that the best way to find your calling, is to just serve him. The more, and deeper you serve him, the more he will show you your way. Don’t get too caught up in finding the perfect purpose. Just give your life to him, and you fill find yourself in return. Would love to chat more, Christy. We’re on a mission to redefine wealth for the next generation. It’s not about BMW’s and corner offices. It’s about using the money you earn as a tool to create the adventure God wants you to go on. Peace and love, sister.

8. Ugoala Uchechukwu says:

I heard this while listening to a ted talk, in that talk it was referred to as ‘passion’ but as Christians, we sometimes choose to refer to it as our calling. Its in line with what you wrote. Here is the quote. ( I added some things)

“Passion is not a job, a sport or a hobby, it’s the full force of energy and attention that you give to whatever that is in front of you or whatever your hands finds to do at any moment/season of your life.
    If you are so busy looking for your passion, you could miss real opportunities that come to you in life.”

Thanks for this wonderful article Christy.

9. Tracy says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am constantly wondering what my calling is, wondering if I made a wrong decision along the way, and what does my future look like…?!?! You made me realize that God has lead me all along, and I need to be happy with what I have today and be open to what may come along in future. I don’t have to stress! Thank you!

10. Tracy L says:

11. Jo says:

I love caring for people!! My calling is serving. Although I receive a paycheck I feel the need to go above and beyond is necessary!! I have done many different things in my many years in healthcare. From floor work to management, from CNA to RN, from activities to hands on care and from LTC to Acute care to traveling to pediatric in home. And I must say. After being a nurse for 10 years and a CNA 12 years prior to that. I finally feel I’m where I am suppose to be. Love my job and love serving this family and giving God the glory!!

12. I would love to attend a conference but Sacramento is to far for me. Will you ever be in the East coast area?
    Sharon

13. Sue Cabot says:

Thank you! I have spent quite a bit of time wondering in the background if I was doing what I was meant to do. God has a plan for all of us and I realized that perhaps I was just doing what he has planned for me.