March 9, 2017

How to Get Back to the Things You Love

I hadn’t planned to run the Country Music Half Marathon—until I found out that Dave Ramsey offered to give $500 to a charity of our choice (and $1,000 if we broke two hours). Knowing that I could earn $1,000 for...

Knowing that I could earn $1,000 for a ministry I cared deeply about made it too tempting to pass up. I talked to my husband, and then decided to sign up.

Friday night, the night before the marathon, I was Instagramming the classic pre-race photo of my outfit when I asked my husband, “How long has it been since I raced?”

He responded, “Two years.”

“TWO YEARS?! I used to do about TEN races PER year!”

“Yes, the last time we raced was the week before our wedding.”

WEding 2

I sat there amazed.

I would have never guessed it had been that long. I couldn’t believe that I let years go by without doing something that I genuinely love to do.

I didn’t plan to let that happen. I didn’t lose that part of myself on purpose. But we never plan to, do we?

Over time, little by little, we stop doing the things we love. We don’t stop for any particular reason, but one crazy week follows another busy month and somehow years go by without a race. Then we realize we’ve moved on and left something behind—something we still love.

But these things that we love are a part of us. And when we get too busy for them, we’re not just giving up the thing; we’re giving up a part of ourselves.

So how do we get it back?

How do we get back to racing, painting, sewing, building, playing the guitar, or swimming? As I discovered for myself, we just do it.

CMM

We sign up for a race, sit down in front of a canvas, buy the materials, or get in the pool and just do the thing.

People often experience this after attending church when it’s been a while or after a good sweaty workout when they’ve been idle for months. They say things like:

“Man, I forgot how good that feels.”

“Gosh, I forgot how much I love that.”

Over time, we forget these things. But all it takes is doing it once and we remember.

And here’s the best part of getting back to doing what you love: It’s not just you who benefits.

After I set a personal record in the half marathon, I walked over to mile 19.4 of the full marathon and waited to jump in with my friend from my small group, Brandon.

I had run the full Country Music Marathon before and knew what an incredibly challenging race that it is physically and mentally—and this was his first. I didn’t know how long I would last, and I hadn’t even trained for the half marathon properly, but I knew that I could be there to help encourage him on the toughest part of the race.

What happened next didn’t surprise me though. I ran the rest of it—7 more miles—with him all the way through the finish line.

Even though I ran 20 miles total that day, it didn’t feel so difficult because it’s something that I love. And now I was offering that part of me, the love-of-running part of me, to my friend.

When you’re doing what you love, you remember how much you love it.

And when you remember that, you can’t help but offer it to others.

back

Start reading my new book now for free!

Jul 4, 2017

Don’t Be Sorry for the Struggle

“You’re spoiling that child! She’s going to grow up thinking the world revolves around her!” From the time I was a small child, friends and... More

1. Sam says:

“It’s in the doing that we remember what it feels like to reconnect with this part of ourselves.”

Yes! I used to run. I used to be a runner. I ran throughout my entire pregnancy. I even ran a little bit after my perfectly lovely five month old (today!) daughter was born. But, now it seems that all of the mama duties are getting in the way… not really getting in the way but I’m not making time for them.

I’ve told myself that it is okay that I “just” walk. But I really, really miss running.

So, I’m just doing it. I’ve made a goal to walk/run/jog 32 miles by my 32nd birthday on March 25. I’m about 1/3 of the way to that goal. I’m feeling amazing.

sam

2. Stacy says:

Christy, I cannot wait to be in San Antonio in April, to hear you and learn from you. One quick question I am pondering; what are your thoughts on Chamber of Commerce membership? I’m torn right now on to join or not …..

3. Lisa says:

I was an avid runner and triathlete for years. But once my first daughter was born and I started working full time again, and even more after my second daughter was born, I realized that to keep running I would have to give up time with my kids in order to fit everything in. And honestly, I can’t justify it to myself. I don’t want to regret missing out on the precious time I have with them. There are only so many hours in a day. I know that once they start Kindergarten I will be able to fit it in again, but for now, it just isn’t the right time 🙁

4. Jenn says:

That’s exactly how I feel when I’m painting or doing some kind of artwork. It’s like I’m reconnected with my inner self, doing what I was born to do. This encourages me to JUST DO IT. I need to get back at at.

5. Prowitz says:

I spoke at a women’s retreat last weekend and part of my talk was learning to say no. I’m pretty good at it but I realized today that I’ve slowly been saying yes to too many things that get in the way of what I love. I now have the hard task of telling people no so I can find me again. I hate disappointing people but I can’t lead the life I want if I’m rushing around all the time. Thanks for sharing this part of you.

6. Sarah says:

I needed that, too! It’s in that spirit that I’m opening my side business and working out after having my baby. Life happened after she was born. Now she’s nine months old, and I realized that only I have the power to create the life I want as a mom.

7. Heather A. says:

I love this! Such a good reminder. I have 3 kids and it’s spring, travel sports, field trips, volunteer work… I never take a moment for myself anymore. I love going to a movie every now and then, running as well, having a night out with my husband. This is a good reminder that I’m still here & I need to make the time to enjoy the life and health I’ve been blessed with. Thanks so much!!

8. Annette says:

This describes where I am out perfectly right now, it’s time to refocus and reprioritize. How did things get so out of balance without us even realizing it?

9. Susan says:

Wow, this blog post is timely. I’m just getting back to doing what I love too. I was diagnosed with a vestibular disorder last year and stopped all the outdoor activities I love like bicycling, hiking and kayaking. I’m still struggling but I’ve made a lot of progress and have more confidence in my ability to get back to doing these activities again. And I miss doing them sooooo much. One day last week I just decided I wasn’t going to let this setback take away what I love to do most. I’ll fight through it; maybe I’ll get sick and maybe I won’t. I don’t care. I’m doing it because I know once I start, I’ll be reminded of how much I love it and that will encourage me to continue. I signed up for a group hike this Sunday and an organized bike ride (my favorite one) in June! I just started a blog on WordPress, oilsbycoils, (also on Twitter) to share the experiences that have brought me to this point and the experiences yet to come. There is an income-producing aspect to the blog but honestly, my first objective is to share my experience with others in the hope that someone may learn and benefit. (Complete transparency here: I struggled a bit with mentioning the blog because there is an income producing aspect to it but then I thought, what would Christy say if I asked her if I should mention it? I think she would say “go for it girl!” So I am. I probably wouldn’t have if I hadn’t started listening to the Business Boutique podcasts.)