March 2, 2017

The Gift We Are Missing Out On

I want you to imagine something for me. Let’s pretend for a second that your child has a birthday coming up. You are so excited because you have thought of the perfect present for her. You put time and effort...

I want you to imagine something for me.

Let’s pretend for a second that your child has a birthday coming up. You are so excited because you have thought of the perfect present for her. You put time and effort and joy and love into making this present, and you know that when she opens it, she is going to absolutely love it. She’s going to enjoy that present so much, and she won’t be able to wait to share it with her friends. They will all have a blast together enjoying the gift you gave her.

On the morning of her birthday, you put the beautifully wrapped gift on the kitchen table and stare at the clock, counting down the minutes until she wakes up and comes downstairs so that she can open it.

You anticipate her reaction and can hardly contain yourself from excitement. You love your daughter so much, and you can’t wait to give her something that not only makes her happy, but also shows her in one more way just how much you love her.

You hear her stirring upstairs and find your seat near the kitchen table, ready for the big moment. She comes downstairs, and you’re shifting in your seat as she turns the corner and walks right past the gift.

“Happy Birthday!” you say, with a slight quiver in your voice because you are trying so hard to contain yourself. “Open your present!”

She turns around and sees it. “Okay, but I’ve got to rush and change clothes because I have to be somewhere soon.” She sits down at the table and opens the package. This, this is the moment you’ve been dreaming about for months!

She pulls out the gift, looks it over, and says with a bit of confliction in her voice, “Thanks, mom, but I really don’t know when I will ever use this. It’s really awesome, but I am too busy and I don’t have any time for it. Thanks though.”

Your heart sinks as your daughter lays the gift down and rushes off to the next thing.

Imagine the disappointment you would feel—not just because your child didn’t get to enjoy the gift you gave her, but because she believed she couldn’t. She missed out on something wonderful because she was too busy.

I wonder, friends, if that isn’t how God feels when we miss out on the gifts He’s given us—the desires, passions and talents that we were created for.

I wonder if He isn’t saddened when we are too busy for our love of painting, our gift of writing, our talent of sewing, our passion for running, or our desire to make music. I wonder if He isn’t baffled that we believe that we are too busy with so many important things that we completely miss out on the gifts he’s given us, the gifts He created us for, the gifts he wants us to share with others.

I wonder.

Psalm 139:13 says, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.”

Friends, God created you for more than laundry and errands—for more than checklists checked off and meals prepared and a house that’s cleaned. He created you, dare I say it, for more than being a wife and mom.

He created you with a set of gifts, strengths, passions and talents. He created you with gifts uniquely and specifically for you. He created you with skills that, though they take work, give you energy. He created you with desires that make you come alive. He created you with passions that bring you joy.

Those gifts are not just an optional ornament in your life. They aren’t just a thing; they are a part of you. And when you get too busy for them, you aren’t just giving up the thing. You are giving up a part of yourself.

But when you spend time enjoying your natural gifts and heart’s desires, you are also a better wife, mom, friend and leader. Everyone benefits when you allow yourself to fully be the woman God created you to be.

So sing. Paint. Dance. Write. Run. Create. Read. Decorate. Plan. Sew. Play. Design. Craft. Whatever that is for you, do it. Remember what it feels like to come alive when you are in your element, in your sweet spot, in your gifts.

I want to encourage you this week to not rush by the table. Instead, stop, slow down, and make time to enjoy the gifts God has given you.

Start reading my new book now for free!

Jul 13, 2017

Stop Helping Everyone

The struggle is the same. It doesn’t matter if you work in nonprofit or work in a ministry, whether you run a business or just... More

1. Tim Wise says:

Christy, Powerful words for folks to get out and live in their gifts. Thanks for the reminder.
    Tim

2. Dot says:

At 59, I am desiring to find what it is that God would have me to explode in . . . after raising 4 of my 5 children, going back to work full-time after becoming a widow, I am just not sure which one I should, and find a better fitting job in. Praying that God will continue to lead me. That is all I can do, and give me His desires to embrace. Thank you for these words . . . great encouragement. You too, are a gift, Christy. Thank you.

3. Kat says:

Thank you Christy! Just what I needed to hear today. I became a parent caregiver last year and have no energy, no time for the gifts I used to enjoy. I will MAKE the time!
    I have to!
    God Bless You,
    Kat

4. Roberta says:

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the permission that is ok and even necessary to do things for me. I guess it has been so long I don’t even know what my passions are. Horses, gardening, healthy cooking and fitness. I hardly know how to start, but I am going to try, I am going to try.

5. Pam says:

Thank you! I have been going back and (re)reading several posts from over the last few months, but this one in particular was exactly what I needed this week. I’ve been really struggling with where to fit those talents in around the demands of family life etc.

6. Kris says:

I just happened to randomly come across this post today, and I have to say, it nearly brought me to tears. For YEARS I’ve felt I was made for more. I was made for more than being a wife, more than being a Mom, and more than just another 9-5 employee who’s basically just working for a paycheck. After much prayer and research, about a month ago I believe I figured out God’s calling for me. I’m on a road now of no return, but still have doubts here and there that maybe I misunderstood or perhaps misread some signs from God. But coming across this article just reaffirms my belief that I am on the right track! It’s been a long road, but I SO believe every word you have written! We were made for more! Thank you for sharing this post. It’s great how God knows when to put something in front of us. 🙂

7. Deb Padgett says:

Christmas – I truly do appreciate what you’ve written here, and judging by the comments has been well received. I’m struggling so much with this very issue; not because I have forgotten how, or don’t take time to be me but because I developed a serious life-long illness 9 years ago that keeps me from being able to be the true me. I have lived and continue to live a very full life, but at 57 I’m not ready to let go of those hearts desires. Is there a direction you can point me in that could help me discover ways to tap into those desires again? I’ve been a follower of Christ for 34 years now, so no worries on that end.

8. Jennifer Ann Royce says:

Christy- I have been hearing this same message all around me- from Pastor Blake Bergstrom & several other blogs, sermons, devotionals, and conversations but it really hit home hearing it from you. Thank You my sister-in-Christ. Love you & God Bless! Jennifer

9. Lynn says:

This post has really touched my soul! I have been miserable for far too long. I need Stop, Slow Down and Make Time for ME.

10. Sue says:

Thank you for solidifying that passions are worth the effort. Although I neglect the call to take the time to work on the passions and gifts that God has given me; I find great joy in them when I do. It’s great to hear a common thought process and encouragement on a day when I may have been questioning my own abilities. Thank you!

11. Elizabeth says:

What a wonderful way to start my day. Thank you for the reminder that we are made for so much more. As a 57 year old…who is still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up- it made me realize God has given me gifts I’m not using. I’ve been praying for a while as to what to do and now I feel -I just need to get out there and start using what God has gifted me with. Thank you for all you do Christy.
    God bless,

Elizabeth

12. Elizabeth Reyes- Jensen says:

God bless,

Elizabeth

13. Robie Lynn says:

WOW! Just what I needed to hear! I am a mother of three “growing Teen to Adult children” finding myself quickly approaching the empty nest stage and I decided that it’s time to focus on my gift. I started a blog to help other women in this same stage of life, and your article just summed it up perfectly. All those “Chores” don’t matter right now! Thank you Christy and I hope you don’t mind me sharing!