Academy Enrollment Opens On October 25! Join the Waitlist
Academy Enrollment Opens On October 25!
May 10, 2019

Happy Mother’s Day

I know this holiday can bring on a mix of emotions, depending on your own personal journey and story. That’s why I want to take a minute to share a powerful moment I experienced . . .

Hi, friend, and Happy Mother’s Day!

I know this holiday can bring on a mix of emotions, depending on your own personal journey and story. That’s why I want to take a minute to share a powerful moment I experienced a few months ago.

I was standing in church and singing during our worship time. This was back when Matt and I were trying for a third baby, but I wasn’t pregnant yet. (Is that TMI? You and I are besties, so surely not!)

Matt and I both agreed we wanted a third, but we talked and prayed extensively before going down that road because we wanted to make sure—absolutely sure—that we would be thrilled with a girl or a boy. Despite what some articles and books say, you can’t really control the gender of your baby. Once we agreed on that, we knew we were ready to add to our family.

Well, on this particular day, when I was standing in church, praying, and worshiping, I could not stop thinking about how deeply I desired a daughter. In fact, I had dreamt of having a daughter my whole life. My mom was a single mom and I was an only child, so my relationship with her is and always has been one of the most important in my life. We are more like best friends or sisters than mother and daughter.

I wanted that with a daughter of my own. And also because it would mean so much with my legacy for women. And also because I just knew Matt would be an amazing girl dad. And, and, and . . .

You get the idea.

So, as I was standing in church that day and thinking about the future with a third baby—and with the gender of that baby out of my control—I just kept fighting those thoughts about wanting a baby girl.

They felt selfish. They felt silly. They felt vulnerable. And, most of all, they felt like a setup for a letdown.

I kept trying to push them out of my mind like the dirty laundry I try to hide before a guest comes in my house.

I just kept thinking to myself . . .

I’ve got to guard my heart. I just have to guard my heart. I don’t want to get my hopes up, and I just have to guard my heart.

Then, in the middle of my mental self-coaching, I heard the gentlest whisper, and I knew it could only be from God. He said,

“You never have to guard your heart with me. I know what to do with every desire I have given you, and I know what to do with every broken piece when you’re disappointed. You never have to guard your heart with me.”

Tears started pouring down my face.

The whisper continued,

“And get your hopes up? I am the God of hope. Get your hopes up! Bring them to me. I promise you I can handle them.”

That day was transformative for me in more ways than you can imagine. It wasn’t just about a baby girl. It was about who God is, and how He feels about my heart’s desires—in any situation or any season of life.

We all try so hard to protect ourselves from disappointment, to insulate ourselves from heartbreak. But God reminded me that day that He is the God of hope. And we aren’t fooling anyone (especially not God, who knows our every thought!) when we try to deny our desires.

I don’t know what types of emotions Mother’s Day evokes for you. But I want to offer you the gentle words God offered me in a moment of vulnerability and when I was wrestling with my own desires.

Let these words from your Father sink into your spirit:

“You never have to guard your heart with Me. I know what to do with every desire I have given you, and I know what to do with every broken piece when you’re disappointed. So get your hopes up, daughter, because I am the God of hope!”

Today, I hope you feel embraced by the God of the universe that put every star in the sky and every hair on your head and every dream in your heart.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 15:13 NIV

With love,

Christy

P.S. While it doesn’t always turn out this way (which each of us knows all too well), sometimes God shows up and surprises us and gives us the very thing we were scared to ask Him for.

Mary Grace Wright is due September of this year. (And, yes, I bawled my eyes out when I found out!)

Oct 3, 2019
Seeking God First in Your Business

I love Stephanie Meek’s story of trusting God’s leading in her business, Five Daughters Bakery, and how she has created work that her family can...

• Patty says:

Great message, I’m a mother of two sons 37-33yrs
    3 grandsons under 3
    I have followed dave Ramsey and retired inspired
    I’ve learned so much from all of you
    God bless, keep up the good work

• Amy says:

Dear Christy,

Thank you for sharing this story! As I read it, I was reminded of my own precious “daughter” story. And I just had to share…

My dream from the time I was in high school was to have 3 kids, 2 boys and I girl. I even knew I wanted 2 boys first and the little girl last. In 2000 and 2002 my precious boys were born and they filled my heart more than words can say. However, there was always that empty space in my heart longing for a daughter. I tried for the longest to convince myself the longing I had would eventually go away, but it didn’t. I even argued with God (yep – well, He spoke and I disagreed for 7 YEARS!!) that I didn’t want anymore kiddos. Starting over with a baby when I had 2 boys who were able to dress themselves, feed themselves, SLEEP ALL NIGHT… sounded kinda crazy.

BUT – in January 2009, I can remember it like yesterday – I was getting ready for the day and God spoke so clearly to my heart and I remember slamming my hands down on the counter and saying “FINE – if you want me to have another baby, I’ll do it.” I was pregnant by the end of January! (How awesome is God!)

That year on November 11th, my heart’s desire made her way into this world, Eden Isabel-Mary, my daughter, joined our family and as her name means, has been my “delight” since then. Her brothers have loved her in the sweetest way since day 1. She has her papa wrapped around her finger and every day, literally, every single day, I’m reminded that God’s plan is always better than mine.

Congrats on your baby girl!

• Maggie Horlander says:

Happy Mother’s Day Christy!!! Thank you so very much for sharing your story and for being “besties” with me too! Your story touches my heart and I was right there with you. Thank you for also sharing what God spoke to you – I needed to hear that. I’m so appreciative of all the encourage you and your team pour into us on a regular basis. You keep me focused on my goals and keep me inspired. I’m so blessed to have found Business Boutique, so blessed to have a dream for my future and so blessed to believe that it isn’t too late for me to start! May God continue to bless you, your family and all your team! Hugs from Texas!

• Teri Chason says:

Happy Mother’s Day, Christy! I do feel like we’re besties 😊. I’m currently listening to your book on Audible when I’m driving or walking on the treadmill at the gym. I started listening to you because I’m starting a crafting business in my home, but I keep listening to you for your never-failing encouragement to “do it scared”. I was raised to settle, not to strive and work for things. If it was scary, you just didn’t even think about it, much less try. At 43, though I have a good life l, a wonderful husband, and 3 amazing kids, I’m finally learning that goals are worth making, and that I can do it scared — whether it’d starting my business or anything else. Thank you!! Keep doing what you’re doing❤️

I’m so excited to see your family grow!!

Best,

Teri

• Ro Dixon says:

Congratulations Christy, hoping and praying for a healthy baby girl come September!! Your story really resonated with me, I have a similar relationship with my mother and have always wanted a daughter but God saw fit for our first to be a boy and I love him with all my heart! Who knows if a baby girl is in my future or not but I’m encouraged by Gods words to you. Thank you for sharing!

• Karen says:

My mother is no longer living and I am not a mother. So, mother’s day is tough. Thank you for the hope you share. I am in a tough situation and the only thing getting me through it with sanity is the peace and calm only given by God. This week that peace was severely disrupted by others who do not have the spirit of God in them. Even though my situation has nothing to do with Mother’s Day I needed this encouragement and will apply it to my situation. Thank you.

• Rebecca Archey says:

Thank you so much for this post! It was exactly what I needed to hear today. My business is very new, & I had been feeling so proud of myself for putting myself out there and getting another sale, and then that person backed out today and cancelled. I was feeling so fearful that I shouldn’t even try b/c I’m never going to succeed, and so why bother even hoping, and then I read this article. I cried when when I read it b/c it was like God was telling me too, “It’s okay to hope and dream.” I needed that reminder of how much God cares about me! Happy Mother’s Day!

• Kathryn Twaddell says:

Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us that our God is an omnipotent God and His plans for our lives are perfect even when we can’t see beyond the moment. Happy Mother’s Day and God Bless you and your family

• Rachel Hayes says:

Thank you for this beautiful story, Christy. Mother’s Day is hard for me this year because my mom passed away last year. But I am so happy for you! I am happy for every new mother and “up in years” mother. I have been listening to you and rereading your book because I will not have a job after this month. Thank you for your encouragement, your wisdom, and especially your faith. You help me not to give up on my dreams. Thank you.

• Julie Winslow says:

Yes, we can trust him with our dreams! After two boys, I wanted a girl for my 3rd child also, but didn’t know what I’d have until she popped out! My Hannah Ruth (whose name means “grace”) is a joy and wonder, as I’m sure your daughter will be to you. Your message was timely as just today my husband suggested I need to rethink how much time I’m putting into the business. I know the dreams in my heart are from God, but I think he’s reminding me I haven’t been putting my dreams in his hands lately, trying to do it on my own a little too much. Thanks for sharing from your heart, Christy! Happy Mother’s Day!

• MEG says:

Love this, Christy! Thank you so much for sharing! My daughters and I read Romans 15:13 together yesterday…and here it is again today! Such a great reminder that our God of hope can handle all the desires He’s given us! So happy for you and your family and thankful for all that you share through Business Boutique! ♡

• Sylvia Herbert says:

Thank you so much for sharing this intimate story. Especially the reminder that we CAN ask God for our heart’s desire and He does listen and provide. I am thrilled for your answer to prayer for a gift of a Girl named Mary Grace!

• Erika Butler says:

Hi Christy! Thank you for sharing this! This made me so happy!!! I can completely relate and I’m thrilled for you and your beautiful family. Congratulations! 🙂 – Erika